ASSET MANAGER (HOUSING COMPLIANCE)
Multifamily Asset Managers (MAM) is a private sector partner of Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA), taking responsibility for the implementation of asset management core tasks under HUD’s Section 8 Performance Based Contract Administration program. It is our goal to deliver the most professional real estate and property management support available. Expertise in project based Section 8 Contract compliance is critical to achieving this goal.
MAM is seeking an Asset Manager to be located in Okemos, MI. The Asset Manager is responsible for conducting the on-site Management and Occupancy Reviews (MORs) using the Form HUD-9834 of assigned properties, and providing follow-up monitoring of properties to ensure all findings are mitigated and owner/agent is in compliance with HUD requirements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Conducts on-site MORs including the Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) checklist, of assigned projects to verify compliance with HUD regulations and requirements regarding occupancy issues. Conducts on-site review of approximately 7 properties per month.
• Determine whether Exigent Health and Safety deficiencies from the last REAC inspection have been corrected.
• Reviews owner/management compliance with EIV requirements at time of MOR as specified in HUD regulations and/or HUD Handbook 4350.3.
• Conducts analysis of information gathered during MOR and completes HUD Form-9834 Management Review Report describing conditions, criteria, cause, effect and corrective actions using MAM’s MOR module. Documents identified conditions in a written report within a 30-day period.
• Receives and responds to responses from owners/agents describing corrective actions. Follows up and monitors corrective action until all findings have been closed. Refer rating appeals to Director/Managing Director.
• Responsible for providing technical guidance and answers to Owner/Agent phone calls and/or emails regarding HUD occupancy requirements, including guidance on HUD Handbook 4350.3, all HUD Notices, and other HUD requirements. Must stay informed and updated of all new HUD regulations related to Section 8 Project Based Housing Programs.
• Completes work professionally, with attention to accuracy, thoroughness, technical knowledge, timeliness, and with the skills necessary to efficiently and effectively complete assigned tasks.
• Research and interpret HUD policies, procedures, regulations and other legal documents as they pertain to performance of Management and Occupancy Reviews.
• Other duties or assignments as needed when requested by management.
• Knowledge of Section 8 Program rules and regulations as well as knowledge of rental housing industry and practices. Experience with other housing programs preferred.
• Ability to explain program requirements to owners/agents, managers and tenants if needed.
• Ability to interface with the public and effectively communicate verbally, individually, and in groups with internal contacts, tenants, property owners, and other external contacts as appropriate.
• Ability to effectively write letters, reports, procedures, maintain documentation and complete required forms.
• Experience and education must demonstrate meticulous attention to detail with the ability to outline, organize and establish priorities for work and maintain productivity while working alone with limited supervision.
• Must be able to travel 40% to 80% of the time, possess a valid driver’s license and automobile, and be able to drive several hours in a day.
• Ability to use Windows, Word, and Excel at an Intermediate level required.
• Ability to learn and operate in-house program management and applications database.
• Ability to operate office equipment, including but not limited to copiers, scanners, printers and telephones.
Education or Professional Experience Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, or related field preferred. May substitute additional relevant experience for educational requirement.
• Five years of progressively responsible property management experience working with multifamily project-based Section 8 properties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all-inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.